Hayden Pass - FS 6
Hayden Pass was used by the Utes to cross from the Arkansas River to the San Luis Valley. Some believe the pass gets its name from Ferdinand Hayden who crossed the pass in 1875. Others maintain that the pass is named for an early Wet Mountain Valley settler, Lewis Hayden. In 1874 the Canon City and San Luis Valley Wagon Road Company planned a route over the pass. In 1877 Hayden pass is shown as a trail in F. V. Hayden's Atlas. By 1879 Hayden Pass was being used as a well known crossing of the Sangre de Cristo mountain range.
In the early 1880's the town of Oriental existed at the west entrance to Hayden Pass. The town has a small store and a school with two teachers. The mines in the area, the Vanderbilt, Andover, and Mountain Lion, were small workings as the ore deposits of lead and silver were small veins. The Andover was operated by a man named Bushnell. Nothing remains of the town but its location was most likely in the area of the private residence just before entering the mountains and starting the climb up along Hayden Pass Creek.
VIDEO COMING SOON!